Thursday, November 10, 2016

Lesson Beyond The Election


When I heard President Obama speak yesterday I understood why he still has a high "personal" approval rating. He is an excellent orator and has great finesse. He is just plain likable.

I can also understand why people were taken back by the "personality" of Donald Trump. Personally, I never had a problem with his style. I was raised in South FL and this is what some people from NY and South FL are like. Since I grew up around it I guess I saw it differently and I did not mind his personality. I also would much rather have a brash "real" person over a sweet talking "fake" person. We can like the man but do we like what he stands for?  In the case of Clinton vs. Trump both of them were not liked on the outward personality scale but enough of America looked beyond the superficial surface to the big picture. They understood that they better vote. Large numbers of Catholics and Evangelicals voted for Trump. They say we turned the election. Thank God.

My prayer is that as Christians, in respect to all our leaders, adopt the concept of looking beyond the outward appearance and the personal appeal to the heart and to the fruit.

I do know that Mike Pence is a class act who wears his Christianity boldly on his sleeve. I love that man but I also highly respect Donald Trump for choosing him as his VP. There is a ton of "draining the swamp" that is needed to be accomplished. Very likely what may have been needed to do so was a blunt, brash, strong, confident, accomplished winner who knows how to get a messy job done.  The road ahead is downright dirty. The coverage will be misleading. My prayers are just beginning.

I also thought about how many of those we should respect in our lives such as teachers, employers, preachers, etc. -  have participated in horrid locker room talk in their past? Who among us has no baggage and also has a few billion to spare to fight and successfully break the iron rock wall of establishment politics? If you think Mike Pence's personality could have done it, in my opinion, you are mistaken. However, once the Johnson amendment is overturned the door will open to many more opportunities to thrust forth with unifying support a candidate before the liberals can completely destroy (with partial truth or outright lies) his credibility.

Do we not respect a Minister of the Gospel who happens to be an Xcon? Of course not. Remember an Xcon didn't just speak wrong but actually committed criminal acts. We think it is a big deal that God can use an even an Xcon for his glory. We know that God is the transformer of our souls and the forgiver of all our sins. We agree that He can use anyone. We quote the verse that says "With God all things are possible" After all our God is in the "new beginnings" business! It is what He does.

I have not been this happy about an election since I had the privilege of casting my very first vote for Ronald Reagan. What a pleasure it is now to watch the news. What hope for America stands before us. What an amazing set up for someone like Mike Pence to possible hold the highest office in the land!!! My grandchildren's future is bright and hopeful. I am so relieved!

I guess what I am most proud about is the majority of Christians who looked beyond the "personality" whether good or rough and looked at the full picture. I'm thankful enough of us were not brainwashed by Big Media but instead were mature enough to look at the policies and principles that this man and woman stood for.

Donald Trump is in office because of what Jerry Falwell called the "moral majority." Jerry Falwell was a successful Christian man who some say was the main reason Reagan got elected. But don't you remember how his name was maligned by the media and Christians alike? We heard enough dirt, enough spin and some joined the hate Jerry Falwell wagon. Shame on us! After this great man passed so did the movement. Subsequent elections saw millions of Christians staying home or leaving it all up to God's "supposed" will. This time that majority did not stay home. We unified. We got the job done. Lesson learned!

Hats off to Jerry Falwell Jr. for seeing first what many did not see. Such a historic and bold move. The apple did not fall far from the tree. His dad must be so proud of him.

Go ahead and pat yourselves on the back - we won. But also please kick yourselves hard if we ever forget the blessing and power of civic duty and unity.

Remember, the liberal media is still on the throne. I still hear many call Trump racist even though some of the first words out of his mouth during his acceptance speech was about rebuilding the inner cities, schools and infrastructure. I do not believe Trump is a racist. I also am convinced that his travels across this country did change his priorities in positive and specific ways. Maybe instead of building his own kingdom he will fully concentrate all that energy he has on building America. Therein lies the true victory.

Another telling comment at Trump's acceptance speech was this:
"So it's been what they call a historic event, but to be really historic, we have to do a great job, and I promise you that I will not let you down..."

I fully believe that President Elect Trump will fulfill his promises and is a man of his word which is the most important characteristic in a leader.

Yes, trust is earned. Yet, how can an authentically trustworthy person have a chance of earning our trust if we throw them out for a personality or appearance flaw?

I know people in my own life who said everything right and even smiled, gave me gifts, as they stabbed me in the back. I also know people who were less than desirable 'personality wise' but would give their right arm in the name of loyalty and to honor the integrity of their word. 

As scripture admonishes all of us - look inside - look beyond!

Let this be a lesson beyond the election and a turning point.


pw

No comments:

Post a Comment